Individual Writing Consultation
The Individual Writing Consultation allows writers to meet with a tutor to work collaboratively on a particular writing assignment. The assignment may include, but is not limited to, course papers, application letters, research proposal or theses.
Before you see us:
- Please bring the writing task (question) along with any writing you have produced for this assignment.
- Check to see if there are any department-specific guidelines that should be implemented in your writing.
In our session, we:
- discuss your writing assignment and set up a plan for going forward
- may need to review faculty-specific guidelines to help you meet the requirements of your department
- provide you with strategies that you may choose to use to improve as a writer
- give you specific feedback about your writing and your approach to writing
- direct you to resources you could consult as you work independently
The writer is the focal point of each session. Therefore, we provide a variety of writing techniques in order to move the writer forward in the writing process and for the writer to choose a method that works best. Active engagement is key and we encourage writers to reflect on feedback and how it could be implemented.
Things we do not do:
- We do not correct papers. Instead, we will discuss language related challenges and students will learn skills that can be used to produce suitable writing.
- We do not assign a grade to writing. Instead, instructors have to determine if the writing meets the assignment standards.
- We do not read papers only a few days before it is due. Our staff needs sufficient time to prepare in order to provide the best support.
Time and attendance:
To set up an appointment, please send us an email. Each session lasts between 30 and 45 minutes. If you have to cancel, please give us at least 24 hours notice.