Individual Writing Consultation
The Individual Writing Consultation allows you to meet with a consultant to work collaboratively on a particular writing task or assignment. The task may include, but is not limited to, course papers, application letters, research proposals or theses.
Before you see us:
- Please bring the writing task (question) along with any writing you have produced for this assignment.
- Check to see if there are any department-specific guidelines that should be implemented in your writing.
In our session, we:
- discuss your writing task and help you determine your next steps
- may need to review faculty-specific guidelines to help you meet the requirements of your department
- provide you with strategies and information to help you improve as a writer
- give you specific feedback about your writing and your approach to writing
- direct you to resources you can consult as you work independently
You, the writer, are the focal point of each session. Therefore, active engagement is key and we encourage you to reflect on feedback and how it could be implemented.
Things we do not do:
- We do not “correct” papers for students. Instead, we will discuss our feedback with you so that you feel confident in making revisions independently.
- We do not assign a grade to writing. Our role is to help you improve the language of your text; for content or grading questions, you should ask your professor, instructor, or advisor. Only they can determine if the writing meets the assignment standards, and what grade they will assign.
- We do not read papers only a few days before they are due. Our staff needs sufficient time to prepare in order to provide you the best support.
To Work With Us
To set up an appointment, please send us an email. Each session lasts approximately one hour. If you have to cancel, please give us at least 24 hours notice.