The Multilingual Writing Center is a space where students from all faculties and departments of Leibniz University work to develop and enhance their writing skills in a foreign language with techniques grounded in research. Our focus is on individuals who write in German or English as a second or foreign language. We will provide a supportive atmosphere where writers can be creative as they utilize various methods to enrich their composition proficiency. We will listen carefully and present questions that promote critical thinking about the writing assignment. As we work together, we encourage students to make revisions and to reflect on their learning progress. Our emphasis is on the writer acquiring skills to master the demand of academic language.
To improve quality and offer optimum services, we will cooperate with academic departments and relevant university institutions. However, all communication with the writing center is strictly confidential.
The Multilingual Writing Center does NOT provide services to students whose native/mother tongue is German. This service is provided by the Schreibwerkstatt at the Zentrum für Schlüsselkompetenzen .
What we offer:
- one-to-one writing consultations and conferencing at any stage of the writing process (by walk-in or appointment)
- support in clarifying and understanding the writing assignment
- help in applying faculty-specific guidelines to meet departmental requirements
- workshops on a variety of topics – from the features to overall structure of academic writing
- resources in print and online (handouts, corpus and text mining tools)
Things we do not do:
- We do not correct papers. Instead, students will learn skills that can be used to produce suitable writing.
- We do not assign a grade to writing. Instead, instructors have to determine if the writing meets the assignment standards.
- We do not read papers only a few days before it is due. Our staff needs sufficient time to prepare in order to provide the best support.
Our staff possesses a linguistic and educational background. In order to continue our evolvement, we conduct research, attend (international) conferences and therefore take part in the discourse concerning academic writing and support.